Search This Blog

Sunday, March 14, 2010

Johari's Window

In class today, we talked about a communication tool called "Johari's Window." In this window, there are 4 panes that represent different relations we have with ourselves and others - OPEN, BLIND, HIDDEN and UNKNOWN.

In the upper left pane, we are OPEN - this includes things that are known to us and known to others. An example might be that I produce Christian music. I know this and so do those around me (most of them anyway).



In the upper right pane, we are BLIND - this includes things not known to us, but known to others. An example might be that I have a bad habit of interrupting (which i do, but since i know i do, then it's not really "blind" - but you get my point).


In the lower left pane, we are HIDDEN - this includes things known to us but not known to others. An example here may be that I love eating ice cream late at night (which you can start to tell around my mid-section), I know this but others do not.



In the lower right pane, we are UNKNOWN - this includes things not known to us or others. An example may be how I would react if I were in a hostage situation. Since I've never been in one, I don't know and neither does anyone else.


What you want to happen, as relationships are built and time is spent, "things" move from the BLIND and HIDDEN panes into the OPEN panes. Then you and those around you can deal with issues or differences with everything out in the open.

You may not be ready to "spill the beans" just yet, but we are hoping that as we journey together God allows you to open up and be honest with this group as I feel He has placed us together for our mutual benefit.

No comments:

Post a Comment